We all love to smile. A smile emits optimism and lets people around you feel confident. But who wants to smile when your pearly whites are a disappointing shade? Instead of feeling confident, you might feel self-conscious when you speak, fearing that people will notice the unhealthy glint.
At Western Clinic Dental, we work on bringing back the glow to your dazzling smile. Your smile is our number one goal.
What Causes Teeth Discolouration?
Everyone is born with different tooth shades. The natural colour of your teeth also depends on your genetic makeup. The natural colour of teeth isn’t papery white either. The enamel is bluish white and slightly translucent so the dentin beneath, which is yellowish, shows through and creates the overall colour of the teeth. The healthy colour of the teeth is light grey or light yellow.
But regardless of your genetic makeup and the natural shade of your teeth, there are other factors that affect the colour of your teeth. Leaving aside the natural process of ageing, teeth can be discoloured due to intrinsic and extrinsic factors.
Extrinsic factors – Includes the discolouration of the outside surfaces of the teeth due to our food intake. The outer layer (enamel) is stained and displays an unhealthy shade.
The following are the common food/drinks that can cause tooth discolouration:
- Citrus/Acidic Food
Stains from these foods can be avoided by brushing your teeth after meals. It is also better to opt for detergent foods such as apples and celery.
Intrinsic factors – If your discoloured teeth are not yellowish, chances are the discolouration is caused by intrinsic factors. This happens when the inner structure of the teeth (dentin) darkens due to:
- Drugs – If your mother, while pregnant with you, had taken tetracycline antibiotics during the second trimester; or if you had taken tetracycline antibiotics when you were 8 years old or younger.
- Fluoride – Fluoride is important in preventing tooth decay. But too much of it can cause dental fluorosis, in which white spots or lines develop on the teeth. This only affects children whose permanent teeth are still forming.
- Tooth Trauma – Accidents can cause internal bleeding of the tooth hence discolouring it.
- Dentinogenesis Imperfecta – A rare condition that causes teeth to be grayish, amber, or even purple.
Teeth Whitening Preparation
To bring back your teeth’s natural shade, your dentist at Western Clinic Dental employs a teeth whitening procedure.
Cavities are first treated and your teeth are thoroughly cleaned to allow bleach to penetrate the surfaces. Personalized trays are manufactured, which you have to wear for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour at night. In just a week, your teeth’s shade will improve by 4-5 shades.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening is proven effective to provide many benefits including:
- Whiter teeth, better looking smile
- Removal of plaque buildup and persistent stains
- Boosts your confidence
Brighter Smile At Western Clinic Dental
Your path to whiter teeth starts at Western Clinic Dental. Stop hiding your beautiful smile and know more of our Teeth Whitening procedure by visiting us today!