However, despite their durability, your dental restorations can still suffer damage leaving you in discomfort and inconvenience. The fact that damage can happen to anyone with a dental restoration, anytime, and anywhere only make the problem worse.
When your dental restorations break, Western Clinic Dental can help you. We provide same day emergency appointments to cater to your dental emergency as soon as possible. Our team is trained to work with ease, efficiency, and urgency particularly in a dental emergency. Rest assured that you and your loved ones are safe with us.
Common Reasons For Their Damage
Dental restorations can suffer damage for a number of reasons including:
Wear and tear. Nothing lasts forever, including your dental restorations. The force they receive from everyday usage in chewing, biting, and other similar functions of the teeth can weaken them over time.
Improper use/abuse. Dental restorations have limitations. Although they are sturdy, their strength is still not equal to that of a natural tooth. Hence using them for other functions such as biting/ chewing hard or sharp materials, opening packages, and tearing tapes, exposes them to risks and damage.
Poor dental hygiene. The number one reason for getting a dental restoration in the first place is tooth decay. Upon their placement, your teeth are thoroughly cleaned and all decayed parts are removed. However continuous neglect, even after the placement of restorations, allows the bacteria to thrive and develop secondary cavities in your mouth. As the decay progresses, the tooth weakens until it can no longer support the dental restoration, hence the damage.
Poor dental work. Choosing the right dentist to place your dental restoration is crucial in the whole process. At Western Clinic Dental, we are trained and experienced in this matter. Dental restorations are easy and of premium quality at Western Clinic Dental.
First Aid Steps
In case of a lost or damaged dental restoration, here’s what you can do:
- Locate and secure the dental restorations.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly to make sure that there are no broken pieces left.
- Apply clove oil on the affected tooth to lessen sensitivity and pain.
- For dental crowns, you can use petroleum jelly or over-the-counter dental cement to keep them in place temporarily on your way to the dentist.
- For fillings, inlays/ onlays, do not re-attach them yourself. To be safe, we recommend letting your dentist fix it. When swallowed, they pose no danger. But when breathed in, these dental restorations can find their way into your lungs and cause an infection.
- Call and visit your dentist immediately.
Western Clinic Dental, Your Trusted Emergency Dentist
Western Clinic Dental provides same day emergency appointment to cater to you and your loved ones’ dental emergencies in Torrensville. We work with ease and efficiency to relieve your pain and worry as soon as possible.
In case of a dental emergency, Western Clinic Dental is the one to trust.