Your mouth is a home to your soft tissues, as well as your teeth, and these tissues are equally important in your overall oral health. The soft tissues in your mouth are the gums, lips, tongue, and cheeks. They are soft and sensitive in nature and house a large number of blood vessels.
It is this characteristic that makes them susceptible to immense blood flow during an injury, hence an injury often looks worse than it is.
At Western Clinic Dental we take care of not only your teeth but also of the soft tissues in the mouth. We provide immediate relief from panic and pain during any dental emergency including those of the soft tissues.
A same day emergency appointment is available for you and your loved ones in Torrensville.
What Causes Soft-Tissue Injury?
As mentioned, the soft tissues are very sensitive. They can be injured even by simple accidents such as biting down too hard. They can also suffer injury from:
- Forceful impact to the face
- Sports accidents
- Work related accidents
- Vehicular accidents
- Hard or sharp food
Soft tissues injuries could be:
First Aid Steps
In case of an injury to your soft tissue, here’s what you can do:
- Rinse your mouth to remove all foreign materials that might be present. Use an antiseptic mouthwash or a salt-water solution (1/2 teaspoon of salt to eight ounces of lukewarm water). Use this to rinse your mouth several times.
- Control bleeding by applying direct pressure on the injured area. Press a clean absorbent material to the area for 10-15 minutes. A clean cloth, napkin, or tampon can also be used.
- To reduce swelling, apply cold compress.
- Call and visit your dentist immediately.
The soft tissues may initially bleed substantially, hence it is very important to remain calm during the ordeal. The bleeding usually ebbs and stops after a few minutes. If the bleeding continues, this could be an indication of a more serious injury to your soft tissues.
Treatment AT Western Clinic Dental
Most injury to the soft tissues doesn’t need extensive treatment from the dentist. Your dentist usually cleans the injured area, checking for any untreated injury that might develop into an infection.
However in serious accidents, your dentist might need to stitch the wound closed to stop the bleeding.
Western Clinic Dental, Your Trusted Emergency Dentist
Western Clinic Dental provides same day emergency appointment to cater to you and your loved ones’ dental emergencies in Torrensville. We work with ease and efficiency to relieve your pain and worry as soon as possible.
In case of a dental emergency, Western Clinic Dental is the one to trust.