A knocked out, or avulsed, tooth can happen to anyone regardless of age, status, or sex. It is one of the most serious and painful dental emergencies. And a knocked out tooth is the one dental emergency wherein a quick mind is critical to avoid devastating consequences to your pearly whites.
Time is most important for a knocked out tooth emergency. At Western Clinic Dental, we work with this in mind.
A same day emergency appointment is offered at Western Clinic Dental, so we can address your dental emergency before it can permanently damage your oral health.
First Things First
A knocked out tooth can still be re-implanted depending on how you handle the dental emergency. It is important to remember that a knocked out baby tooth should be handled by a dentist alone, lest you damage the developing permanent tooth underneath.
Most kids will have their full set of permanent teeth around 12-13 years old. If you are not sure if a tooth is permanent or not, best let your dentist handle it.
First Aid Steps
In case of a knocked out tooth, here’s what you can do:
- Locate and secure the tooth immediately.
- Pick it up by the crown and do not touch the root of the tooth.
- If the tooth is dirty, rinse it with clean lukewarm water for no more than 10 seconds. Do not brush, scrub, or rub. Otherwise, just let it be.
- Rinse your mouth and make sure that there is no foreign material, particularly in the location of the knocked out tooth.
- Reinsert the permanent tooth in place and bite down gently on a clean piece of soft material.
- For a baby tooth, soak it in a saline solution, milk, or saliva on your way to the dentist.
- Call and visit your dentist within 30 minutes of the injury.
Re-implantation at Western Clinic Dental
The first thing that your dentist will check for re-implanted tooth is if it is properly positioned. This will be done through X- ray. Your bite capacity will also be checked.
In the case of a failed re-implantation, your dentist will properly re-insert the tooth. A splinting technique might be used to keep the tooth in place. The treatment may vary depending on the severity of the damage.
Your recovery will be closely monitored to ensure that your re-implanted knocked out tooth is back to normal and that there is no infection.
Western Clinic Dental, Your Trusted Emergency Dentist
Western Clinic Dental provides same day emergency appointment to cater to you and your loved ones’ dental emergencies in Torrensville. We work with ease and efficiency to relieve your pain and worry as soon as possible.
In case of a dental emergency, Western Clinic Dental is the one to trust.